Are you an Aussie looking to return home to an exciting new role where you can build your experience and join a support team? Do you have exemplary commissioning, editing, and author service skills? Hachette Australia is expanding its non-fiction publishing team and we are looking for a Senior Non-Fiction Editor to help create and implement the vision for our non-fiction program. This is a wonderful opportunity for someone with proven commissioning experience gained in a book or magazine environment to join a thriving and collaborative team. This is a permanent full-time position based at our head office in Sydney or one of our satellite offices in Brisbane or Melbourne
ABOUT THE ROLE
As the Senior Nonfiction Editor, you will lead the nonfiction acquisition team, manage a team member, and be responsible for acquiring and commissioning a slate of exciting, innovative, agenda-driven, and business-driven authors, including underrepresented voices and high-profile celebrities, who identifies market gaps, emerging trends, and stays ahead of the competition . In this role, you will perform the following main tasks:
- Expand our diverse slate of non-fiction, particularly in the areas of popular culture, current affairs, memoir, biography, and sports
- Research new trends and make the most of your excellent network of writers, thinkers, celebrities, influencers, agents and talent managers to enroll new authors
- Increase the profits of the local non-fiction publishing list, and
- Manage agreed budgets, control costs and royalty advances.
You are made for the job if you have:
- Proven track record of commissioning and publishing best-selling titles informed by consumer insights
- Excellent creative instincts combined with strong business judgment and an entrepreneurial spirit
- Significant editorial experience, including content generation and proven experience working with complex and/or legally sensitive projects
- Excellent communication skills and ability to build strong relationships internally and externally
- Experience working with budgets and processing financial information/data
- Experience managing people and inspiring them to be their best
- Excellent negotiation skills, strong emotional intelligence and great listening skills, and
- A collaborative mindset but comfortable making decisions independently when necessary.
Hachette employs people according to their abilities. Our aim is to attract and develop talent from a base as broad as the world of readers we wish to reach, with a broad and representative range of age, religion, disability, race, gender , sexuality, socio-economic, regional and cultural backgrounds. If you are shortlisted and need us to make adjustments to help you present for an interview, please let us know.
If this sounds like you, please send your cover letter and CV to [email protected] Your entry should also include a prediction about a future non-fiction trend and how you would successfully publish a bestselling book that builds on it. The closing date for applications is Monday, July 4, 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.